2PPCLI Kapyong Barracks Garrison Facility Design-Build Project

Project Overview

This 2005 Canadian Design-Build Award winning project involved the design and construction of an Infantry Battalion Unit Complex and related site development for the 1200 members of the Second Battalion of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (2PPCLI) at CFB Shilo in Manitoba. The unit owns and maintains over 400 military vehicles, ranging from armored combat vehicles to light and heavy trucks. The total gross floor area for the complex is approximately 460,000 ft2. The total amount of land developed occupied forty-two acres. There are three separate buildings and several support/service buildings:

Main/Multi-Purpose Training Facility Building:
This 225,000 ft2 building serves two distinct functions; the “Main” component serving the 2PPCLI Regiment, and the “MPTF” component, serving the rest of the base. The Main building houses the three rifle companies and specialized platoons, signals group, field support group, quartermaster’s storage, administration offices and cafeteria.All these are served off the 600 foot long, thirty-five foot wide and fifty-five foot high main corridor

LAV (Light Armoured Vehicle) Shelter:
This 55,000 ft2 pre-eng building is used for the parking and servicing of light armoured vehicles and simulated battlefield training. The LAV building is connected to the Main/MPTF building via a link that will accommodate the movement of heavy vehicles.

Maintenance and Transport Building:
This 91,000 ft2 stand-alone building facilitates the general repair and maintenance of the unit’s military vehicles. It provides driver and mechanic training, administrative offices and amenities, parts storage and tool crib and an open-span for a 20-tonne crane.